Countdown to 12-21-2012

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Apocalypse Any Day Now

Currently devouring a book by Lawrence E. Joseph called Apocalypse 2012: An Investigation Into Civilization's End.

In my research, I have, until now, stayed away from titles which seem to predict doom and gloom because I do not want to buy in to that mindset. However, on the side of objectivity and thoroughness, I decided I had to read everything there is (as much as is humanly possible)

I am having a hard time tearing myself away from this one. Joseph, a journalist and science consultant, is an excellent writer. He keeps you hooked.

The book basically presents scientific data concerning such things as: volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, the activity of the Sun and other astronomical facts that show compelling evidence that "something" could definitely happen anytime.

It is full of facts and still reads like a mystery novel. I highly recommend it.

Towards the end of the book, he mentions the numerous cultural and spiritual traditions that point to 2012 as an "end date".

For me, the most interesting material is on how volcanoes, earthquakes, and hurricanes are interrelated and connected to Sun activity. According to Joseph, it is not just global warming but solar system warming that we have to fear and.... buying a different car is not going to make any difference.

He also stresses the fact that not only are the experts in these various fields, not looking at the data from the other fields, they are not even aware of it. Each scientific community insulated from one another, speaking their own arcane language, talking only to each other. This is exactly why it took us so long to interpret the Maya Hieroglyphs.

For decades the various disciplines - linguistics, archaeology, art history, cultural anthropology and biology among others, each did their studies of the Maya. It was not until the late '70s that they began to speak to each other about their findings and to share information. Because of their collaboration, there has been incredible progress. So much so that there is now a dictionary that includes the Mayan, Spanish and English words (more on this later).

What will it take for the different sciences to do the same in regards to upcoming disaster scenarios for planet Earth?

Strangely enough, although the case for THE END is well made, I feel good. Hmmm Why is that? Well, since the pressure is off me to try to "fix" something, I realize that living fully in the moment is ALL THERE IS! And so, I intend to. "Don't Worry, Be Happy" Meher Baba preached and now I see why.

No comments:

Post a Comment